Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Milly and the Macy's Parade

Shana Corey
illustrated by Brett Helquist 2009


We've actually never watched the Macy's Parade but my in-laws always have it on during Thanksgiving. Brett Helquist did the illustrations for the "Series of Unfortunate Events" books and I really like the ones in this book as well.

Though not entirely historical (there's an interesting author's note at the end) I like that the story is about an immigrant girl and her idea to cure homesickness and celebrate both the old countries and the new.

It looked a little like the old country, and a little like America, and a little like something entirely new. Who would have thought that one marvelous idea could give so many different people something to celebrate together?











2 comments:

  1. I should get it for Millie:) Great illustrations:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anytime I come across a book with a "Millie", I think of yours!

    ReplyDelete