Monday, July 25, 2011

Charlotte's Web

 
The early summer days on a farm are the happiest and fairest days of the year.  Lilacs bloom and make the air sweet, and then fade.  Apple blossoms come with the lilacs, and the bees visit around among the apple trees.  The days grow warm and soft.  School ends, and children have time to play and to fish for trouts in the brook.

by E.B. White 2001
pictures by Garth Williams

 Summer is full upon us, so this blog may be getting a little sparse. These days we are swinging out on the hammock, biking to the playground, spending time at the beach and my parents' pool, and reading well into the night with fans humming across our beds. 

These warm lazy months are the perfect time to read "Charlotte's Web" to my own Charlotte. (I first read this to Madeleine when she was two but Charlotte's attention span is a bit shorter so we're reading it little by little at naptime and bedtime).  It has the pictures by Garth Williams that I remember from my own copy when I was a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment